London, United Kingdom based company named Nothing develops Phone (1), a smartphone with a transparent back and unique LED lighting pattern, and Ear (stick), a true wireless earbuds with a tubular transparent case.
Nothing has been known to use the English names of Pokémon from the Pokémon series as codenames for the development of its products.
Codenames and product combinations known as of February 20, 2023 are these:
right down to Phone 1’s codename Abra, which is a reference to the psychic Pokemon of the same name. (For the record, Pei says his favorite ‘Mon is Squirtle.)
Source：Engadget, Nothing's Carl Pei thinks everyone else's smartphones are boring, https://www.engadget.com/interview-with-nothing-ceo-carl-pei-thinks-everyone-elses-smartphones-are-boring-090011028.html, published on June 24th, 2022, last accessed on July 3rd, 2022.
ちなみに Bellossom ＝ キレイハナは Ear (stick) のことのようです。 オープン型なのに低音がしっかりしていて、ケースのデザインは棒形カッコいい。
Source：YouTube, ギズモード・ジャパン, 【Phone (1)】の裏話を聞いてみた：Nothing Carl Pei, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXU4QDWrUNo, Published on February 13th, 2023, last accessed on February 20th, 2023.
Only the codenames known are these:
Ear (1)'s codename is Aipom. As a hint in solving the Nothing products codename rules, Carl Pei, CEO of Nothing, said codename is based on a naming table based on the generations of Pokémon at exclusive interview by Gizmodo Japan published on December 2021.
As a possible codename rule, I can see that the codename of the first product in each product category begins with the letter A, as in Aipom for Ear (1) and Abra for Phone (1). Ear (stick), the second true wireless earbuds product was Bellossom, starting with B.
Arceus and Azelf are so-called legendary Pokémon that appeared in the fourth generation of the Sinnoh Region, and I can infer from their classification as legendary Pokémon that they are high-end products with high-end specifications.
In the latest exclusive interview with Gizmodo Japan published on February 2023, the name Alakazam was mentioned, and the fact that they skipped Kadabra and brought in Alakazam, the final evolution of Abra, makes one wonder if they are referring to the "Phone (2)" (tentative name), the next product after the Phone (1), or a new product category. There are two ways to guess of Alakazam as a new product category or a reference to the "Phone (2)" (tentative name), the next product after Phone (1).
The following is a summary list of this blog article author, RuinDig's viewpoint of the codename rules for Nothing's product at this time.
- Product code names are based on a naming table based on Pokémon generations.
- The code name of the first product by product category begins with the letter A.
- The code name of the second product by product category would begin with the letter B.
- The classification of the Nothing product codenames that I know at this point is that the smartphone is a Pokémon from the Kanto Region (1st generation) and the true wireless earbuds is Pokémon from the Johto Region (2nd generation).
- The appearance of Alakazam, the final evolution of Abra, skipping Kadabra, has created two ways of thinking about whether it is a successor to the Phone (1) or a product launched from a different product category, which makes it difficult to decide at this point. On the one hand, the product is a successor to Phone (1). On the other hand, if ignore the evolutionary and focus on the Pokémon generation and the first letter of the Pokémon alphabet, I can assume that the product will be released in a different product category than before. Laptops or tablet devices.
- Arceus and Azelf are so-called legendary Pokémon appearing in the Shinno Region (4th generation), but it is unclear how the legendary Pokémon classification relates to the high-end specifications and high price level of the products. Ignore legendary classification, both are starting with the letter A, I can assume that Arceus and Azelf are the first products in different product categories.
- If emphasize on "Pokémon generation" and "initial alphabet," it is possible to ignore factors such as evolutionary and legendary classification.
- It is not clear whether the characteristics of the Pokémon that will be the product codename are connected to the product characteristics: I know that Aipom with two ears and Ear (1), and Bellossom with two flowers on its head and Ear (stick), but the connection between Abra and Phone (1) is unclear. I have no firm evidence, but I don't see any particular connection.
In addition, the codename rules(codename logic) for Nothing products will not change even if it is revealed, said Carl Pei, CEO of Nothing.
Japanese version of this article
Related articles on this blog(written in Japanese)